out on a limb...

10.2.05


All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.
Aristotle

I am considering applying for a job... I know what you must be saying... that I do such a good job at being an unemployed student. I'm quite amazing at it actually... I manage to do lots of worthwhile things (things that could be considered work even) but without getting paid. One would think that my dislike for what we might call "paid work" is some foolish attempt by to retain some element of my childhood (no money means no responsibility... however people still think you're cute). Unfortunately... if I need to start making some money if I want to somehow maintain my status as a student. Graduate studies will be an expense that student loans and much desired scholarships (a result of excellent academic standing... which is very much related to my happily unemployed status) cannot cover without some additional personal $$$.

I must clarify a few things... I was looking for work earlier in the school year. I was quite dedicated in fact, but not to sound as if I'm making excuses... school became too important. I found more in my program that interested me than I expected... and without realizing it job hunting became a very low priority in comparison to my academic pursuits. But this peaceful existence cannot continue I fear... and a possible job has come up and I need to do something about it. I have no predictions whether I can really get this job or not... but I spent enough time as an employment counsellor to know that I can't get a job without applying for it. So apply I will. I'll spend tomorrow polishing off my resume and covering letter.



So since I've taken the time to add some pictures to this post... I might as well try to make them related to the content. I'm sticking with the theme of youthful exuberance I think... This picture was from a family trip to Victoria. I always liked this picture because this shot of me hanging on a branch gave the impression that I was adventureous. Funny thing though... I'm pretty sure I didn't climb up there rather I was lifted up and placed there. But whether I climbed up or not, I am still there hanging on a branch... taking what could be called a "risk." My adult self could learn a thing or two from Raffaella age ? (note the subtle connection between risk taking and applying for a job).

Unrelated to what I will call my career pursuits, I have started research on a new paper Flickr and Social Networks. I have had great luck so far... seeing that just yesterday on the flickr blog there was a post about a new third party application called flickrGRAPH that visualizes social networks inside flickr. Also, sometime within the next couple days I will watch the presentation "Producing Social Environments" that is part of the Online Social Networks Conference for 2005 that I found about from this blog. It's really quite amusing how all of these things have come to my attention after I came up with my research topic.

Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you.
Henri-Frédéric Amiel


0 comments