working on my aim...

14.5.06

Here's some advice that I would like to start giving my models..

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Carlos A. Urbizo


Today was the big day... my first official solo photoshoot. Now that's it is finished I don't know what I was so worried about.

My day started earlier than usual as I had to be at the salon at about quarter after eight. I hadn't prepared anything for the shoot in advance, with the exception of making sure that all of my batteries were fully charged. So this morning I busied myself getting together all the stuff I needed for the shoot, packed it all in the car and took off for the salon. When I arrived at the salon I quickly realized that I had forgotten my tripod (which was essential), so I had to drive back to the house and pick it up.

The day passed by rather quickly. I quickly fell into a routine of moving my models through a series of regular poses and locations. I will admit that I did not try to coax my models to display any real personality... but I wasn't really interested in their personality so much as their hair colour. Terrible I know, but I wanted their expressions to be understated and not compete with the hair.

I shot almost all of the portraits with my 50mm lens... something which was rather new for me. I really wanted the depth of field capabilities of this lens though. I shot primarily outdoors, with a few introductory shots for each model inside. I am always so much more partial to the results of natural light photography. Studio lighting can create some really fabulous effects, but I don't have the expertise in that area, nor do I have quality equipment. But I didn't have to worry about the inferiority of my lights this time...

I've posted some of the photos from the shoot today to my photostream and added them to my salon selectives set. After a shoot like today I feel a little more hopeful that one day I might be able to call photography my exclusive profession. I wish I was financially secure enough to do that now. One day soon perhaps... once Wade wins the lottery and gives me part of his windfall.

0 comments