finding a sickness you like

20.11.05

madwoman in the attic

It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like.
--
Jackie Mason

That quote seems to epitomize my life right now. I seem to be hit with whatever sickness is flying around. I thought this was the weekend of my convalescence... I felt rather chipper and was in rather good spirits after watching the new Harry Potter on Friday and going for a much needed photo excursion at the local landfill in the afternoon yesterday. But today I woke up and was acutely aware of my churning stomach acid. It's very nearly impossible to be glamorous and sick at the same time, unlike many Victorian era heroines who ultimately meet their maker after a long bout with consumption. And my lack of sickly glamour is not just because I don't have a drawing room with a chaise lounge where I can lie in the afternoon in order to entertain my guests. I suppose my situation isn't that much different though... I still have to spend my days in quiet solitude, but I've replaced embroidery with my laptop and wireless internet.

I think I'm going to try to sip some soup through a straw, otherwise I'm going to assemble a makeshift intravenous drip.

0 comments