on crime and punishment...

6.8.06


the new pink slipper © Raffaella Loro

Some of us might remember the scene from The Sound of Music where Julie Andrews (Maria) and Christopher Plummer (Captain Von Trapp) are singing in the gazebo after they discover their mutual love for each other... So sweetly they sing the words...

Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somwhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth

For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good


However, somewhat unrelated yet still moderately linked to the lyrics (but I have musicals on the brain right now from a previous conversation with someone and I wanted to make a musical reference)... love aside, I did not have a wicked childhood and I might have done something bad on occasion... but what I did to deserve the recent situation I found myself in I don't really know.

Friday, after enduring several hours of transportational slumming on the Greyhound, I put myself quietly to bed and was up the next morning to get on the plane to Fort St. John. I arrived later in the afternoon and telephoned my wedding client to check in. After some brief conversation we were talking about where I should meet them (it was a quickly organized wedding and I didn't have all the details yet) and it was decided that I should first come to the hotel to take shots of the bridal party getting ready. I was starting to relax, everything was falling into place. But the hotel that I was told did not sound familiar to this area, so I asked for directions. The directions were a little vague at first and I did not recognize the street names... So then the directions became more specific, "Well if you're coming off the Whitemud...."

and then I started to panic.

Fort St. John doesn't have a Whitemud, the only city I know of that has a Whitemud is Edmonton. That meant I was in the totally wrong city and I did not know how it all happened because all my previous conversations (although few in number) gave me no reason to believe that I was supposed to go to Edmonton instead of Fort St. John. Obviously I'm upset about the whole thing, upset because the confusion left the wedding party without a photographer and because I also lost some income for the summer and because I gave up some vacation time with Aryn.

I don't know what crime I'm being punished for. It's really quite maddening.

But all I can do is make the best of things. So I've fallen back into my regular home routine. I've been on the computer all day long, lord knows what I've been accomplishing besides wasting time. Although tonight I'm meeting with my friend who's also in town for coffee briefly. I'll pour my sorrow into a tea or something from Tim Horton's, since the stylish coffee place in town is sure to be closed as it is Sunday night.

Oh the joys of being back in a small city.

0 comments