on space between the eyes and the connection with snoring...

7.3.06

I got into a ridiculous conversation about a unibrow last night. It really was a dumb topic of conversation because it was destined to go nowhere... as both parties involved are extremely stubborn to a point of "mule-ishness". The conversation did make me think about my photo editing processes though... because I do edit a lot of my work (the majority of which I post online anyhow)... editing which sometimes involves simple levels or curves adjustment and may include skin retouching to create a flawless complexion or *gasp* the removal of stray eyebrow hairs that have taken over the bridge of a nose (and I still stand by my humourous claim that a unibrow causes snoring as a result of the pressure to the sinuses). Anyhow, I remembered reading an interesting explanation of the editing process from one of my flickr contacts. I really liked how he had described things when I first came across his photostream because it captured a lot of what I felt about editing and photography.

Many people have asked about how I arrive at the image that gets shown and I think it's important to make a distinction about at least one thing. I post process almost everything.

I am working towards an image not a purist ideal. I will edit where I see an edit and change where I see a change.. until the image is what I see in my mind. I feel strongly that you aren't coming here to see a picture of a tree in my backyard in the literal sense, or I could give you my address and you could see it for yourself--rather that you are coming to see my view of the tree. The way I wrap my experience, tastes, biases and baggage around a tree, as it were.

Following that line of thought to its logical end means I post process as an extension of the camera, not a pollution of it. The image is the point not the camera.

I believe all photographs are inherently lies. There is no more truth in an ansel adams sky than mine. Neither truly reflect the subject as it existed and both accurately reflect the feelings and beliefs of the photographer


If I offend you by altering the colours of a photograph or giving you flawless skin or space between the eyes... well I don't know what to say. For me photography is a multiple part process... as much love and energy goes into taking the photograph as it does in the editing process. And the process is always different. I don't edit every photo as a rule... sometimes I am very happy with what I am able to achieve just with the camera alone, but don't think that photo hasn't been edited... it has, just perhaps with my lens(es).

three more sleeps until Spring Break!

0 comments