the sound of chitchat

12.9.08


project © Raffaella Loro

The second Pecha Kucha night was held on Thursday. As per what has become my usual volunteer contributions, I created the poster, assembled the presenter packages and master presentation, helped orient the presenters before the event, and acted as the main photographer for the event. All behind the scenes kind of stuff, but still stuff I enjoy. Tonight I edited some of the images from the event (held in the Westbury Theatre at the Transalta Arts Barn) and posted the first 30 or so images to flickr. I'm pretty low key when it comes to photographing an event like this. I tend to shoot with available light (even though I do have a speedlite) and I kind of wander aimlessly with my camera. You can't always fully enjoy an event when you're taking photos. You have to pay attention to everything that is going on. And, for an event like this, it is equally important to pay attention to the audience as well as the presenters. When the intermission rolls around you don't get as much chance to mingle because you should be photographing everyone else mingling. You also don't get a chance to eat anything or drink anything, mostly because you're hauling around your camera and other assorted gear. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me, because for one I like to take pictures and I like to be behind the scenes. However, I know more people in Edmonton now... particularly at these events and I'd like a chance to stop and chat. But I know that if I didn't have my camera with me I'd probably be wishing that I did.

that's my curse. I'll just have to live with it.

0 comments