ending the summer with the symphony

3.9.11

Although I am sad to say goodbye to summer, by the time the September long weekend rolls around I have started to get a little bit tired of the migraines and mosquitoes and I'm ready for autumn to begin. To mark this transition to fall, it's become a bit of tradition for me to attend Symphony Under the Sky. This was one of the first festivals I attended in Edmonton and it's easily one of my favourites. I love coming to the park, well prepared with my blanket and mittens, ready for an evening listening to the Edmonton Symphony play while the sun sets behind them.



I prefer the grassy areas to the seats under the tent. It means you have to brave the elements a bit more, but I appreciate being able to stretch out my legs and cozy up to your significant other if they happen to come along. Of course there's also the added benefit of being able to beat the rush at the refreshment tents.

Conductor Bob Bernhardt adjusts his bow-tie before beginning Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Harp in C Major, K.299
(Elizabeth Faulkner on flute and Nora Bumanis on Harp)
Grassy seating is for lovers!
Amazing views of Hawrelak Park while the sun sets (except perhaps for the trailers parked behind)
This is Bob Bernhardt's sixth year conducting the ESO for Symphony Under the Sky.
One of my favourite photos from SUTS in 2009 is featured in the program!
Friday night's performance featured selections from Mozart, Handel and Brahms. The rest of the weekend is a mix of Broadway and Hollywood favourites on Saturday, a children's concert (not featuring the ESO) and an evening with Ian Tyson on Sunday, followed by the concert finale of Gershwin and the 1812 Overture.


I love it when the "house lights" dim after the intermission and you can really begin to appreciate the lighting on the tent. It was a little chilly last night, but the audience was well bundled and came prepared to endure the light rain at the end of the performance.

always be prepared

It was a fabulous first night and I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

If you've never gone before or you haven't bought your tickets yet, the rest of the weekend is going to be beautiful. Gates open at 6pm and there are always tickets available at the gate. Hope to see you there!

0 comments