yearling

16.3.10

Almost exactly a year ago Tom and I decided to go for an evening stroll on Whyte Avenue.

pedestrians should not be in crosswalk

It was unsually warm for that time of year, so warm in fact, that after a period of taking photos of the evening traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian), we took in our first patio of the season. It was a particularly lovely evening, we didn't talk much, just sort of wandered and took photographs of whatever caught our fancy.

telecommunications

I think we were both in the mood for a similar type of outing this past Sunday. I was hesitant to leave the house, as I was feeling the ill effects of this spring cold, but the gentleman convinced me that some fresh air might do me some good. And with that encouragement I left the house to meet Tom across the river to relive our Whyte Avenue photographic excursion albeit in the daylight. I am pleased to report that even in sickness I managed to reach the Chapters bookstore in only twenty minutes.

When Tom arrived we wandered off aimlessly with our cameras in hand. We ended up taking a rather circuitous route, first heading off a block or two from Whyte to photograph the bakery near Calgary Trail and then roaming a block or two north through residential streets and the theatre district.

these bricks are my foundation

The nice thing about these random strolls in familiar places is that you're on the lookout for less familiar sights. When I'm not as concerned about taking in the entire scene I pay a little more attention to the details that might otherwise go unnoticed.

blues festival

I'm sure others have experienced the beauty of a back alley before... or the the perfection of a reflection in a puddle.

reflections of our former selves

This of course sounds overly sentimental, but the sniffling and sinus congestion of the weekend still persists and is sort of acting as a temporary shield against cynicism. I'm not complaining. I'd rather be cheerful while I'm sick rather than wallowing in misery. The wallowing in misery is something I reserve for when there are people within hearing distance.

0 comments