the only way to write a wrong

4.11.09

I used to think I enjoyed editing and then I worked on a project where I had to copy edit hundreds of little horribly written profiles. It was then I realized how much I disliked it. Which is why when I was sort of delighted to read about this free crowd-sourced copy editing 'service' called Goose Grade.

Personally I think this service is pretty rad. I frequently make foolish grammatical errors and dislike getting corrected in my comments. I like when someone lets me know if I've made a mistake (I want to correct it so I don't look like an idiot), but at the same time I don't necessarily want the whole world knowing I'm a dunce. I think this service will sort of alleviate that shame. The little copy edit button is sort of a little badge that says "hey, I'll probably make mistakes on this blog, please help me correct them." At least that is how I'm looking at it. I'm hoping it will help soften any blows to my writerly ego.

There's a wordpress plugin that I'm going to install it on my other blog that will even make the edits automatically after you approve them. But the service isn't just restricted to blog, you can actually edit any page on the internet. I know a few people who are going to go wild about this. You know, the type who carry a red pen in a breast pocket, ready to redline at any given moment. The type that cringe when they read some of my wandering epic sentences.

One thing I have noticed though, the little widget is not displaying properly in Safari. I'm not sure what the problem is, because it loads just fine in Firefox and Opera. Why Safari? Why do you not like my blog?

0 comments